As you already know, Wellington is New Zealand capital. It is located in the south of North Island, somewhere in the middle of both the islands.
Wellington is the fourth biggest city by size and third most populated city in New Zealand. Like Auckland, there are many things to see and do here too!
Top 10 Must See / Must Do in New Zealand Wellington
10) Te Papa Museum of New Zealand – THE museum of New Zealand. Even if you are not a museum lover, this is the one museum you must visit if you are in New Zealand. Everything you need to know about the country can be found here.
9) Try Cat’s Pee wine. Not sure if it is really from cat’s pee, but I never tried it. Friends who tried said that it was okay. I don’t even drink my pee; do I really want to drink cats’ pee?
8 ) Wellington Cable Car is one of the oldest attractions. Well, technically locals use it for commuting purpose, while we tourists use it for sightseeing. The cable car itself is build on a gradient, see it yourself to know what I mean.
7) Visit the Wellington beehive. I am referring to the Executive Wing of Parliament Building, not the real beehive. It is one of the iconic buildings in New Zealand.
6) Check out Stonehenge Aotearoa. This is one of the places I wanted to go but never did. Been to Wairarapa on field trip but never visited it. Don’t think any of my friends visited either. Let me know how it is like there!
5) Cruise to South Island via Interislander. Enjoy the spectacular view of Cook Strait and Marlborough Sounds as you sail to Picton.
4) Lindale Centre is a nice ‘rest’ point while driving along State Highway 1, towards or away from Wellington. We usually buy ice cream, honey and wine whenever we pass by there.
3) Eat a Crepe from Crepe A Go Go while strolling along Cuba Street. Loves to eat the Nutella crepe and window shop at the same time. Perhaps, this is the westernized version of street food.
2) Weta Cave in Miramar showcase interest props from films. My favourite display is Arwen’s Hadhafang, not sure if it is still available there today. Can’t remember if I saw her Evenstar there.
1) Wellington Rover tour is the best Lord of the Rings full day tour, out of the 3 I have visited. Perhaps, it is because Rivendell is located here in Kaitoke National Park, the ethereal place on earth.
Peter Jackson said: “New Zealand is not a small country but a large village.” He is from the place in this island known as Wellington.