There might be 101 things to do and see in Auckland any day, and probably even any time. It is a big city with heaps of attractions to offer – nature, shopping, dining, etc. You name it, and very likely, you can do it there.
After spending about 6 months in Auckland, I have done both touristy and local stuff. Let me provide you with my list of recommendations. Many people might not agree with some of the points listed, but these are my recommendations.
Top 10 Must See / Must Do in New Zealand Auckland:
10) Dine at Orbit Revolving Restaurant at the Sky Tower. Do an advanced reservation around sunset timing. The viewing gallery is complimentary for Orbit Restaurant diners.
9) See Rangitoto Island. Some friends who went there said the place is gorgeous, with an ethereal look. I prefer to view the island from afar, personally.
8 ) Alfresco dining at Mission Bay. Enjoy the white sandy beach and view of Rangitoto Island. The beach is pretty empty on weekday afternoons. Always enjoy the peace and serenity with a Movenpick ice cream here.
7) Kelly Tarlton’s underwater world is nicer than Singapore Underwater World. They offer diving with the sharks, with you in the cage, or not. I prefer to look at the marine life from the dry side of the glass window.
6) Auckland Botanic Gardens has heaps of different gardens. My favourite plots are the native garden and rose garden. The perennial garden is a popular location for wedding photos too!
5) Spa session at Waiwera Thermal Resort. Soaked in the private spa for more than an hour, and my skin didn’t even wrinkle. Waiwera drinking water is also one of my favourite mineral water in New Zealand.
4) Check out Auckland Harbour – it is not call City of Sails for nothing. I enjoyed the Harbour Cruise, while you might prefer to view it from the top of Auckland Harbour Bridge.
3) Extreme sports in middle of Auckland city? New Zealand’s only Bridge Climb, SkyJump and SkyWalk are located here. Prefer theme park instead? Check out Rainbow’s End. The Motion Simulator is my fave.
2) Prefer shopping? Dress Smart Outlet shopping at Onehunga has heaps of sales for popular retail outlets like Cotton On, Rip Curl, Ralph Lauren, etc. Can easily spend a couple of hours in there without realising.
1) Drive into Whanagaparaoa Peninsula. Gulf Harbour Marina is luxuriously pretty and Shakespeare Regional Park is naturally gorgeous. Whangaparaoa Peninsula is to Auckland is like Sentosa is to Singapore.
If you have any other must see / must do in Auckland, feel free to leave a comment for sharing.